Monday, September 5, 2011

The Help



No, I'm not talking about the book/movie/made-for-tv-mini-series or whatever else they've come up with lately. I'm talking about my wonderful husband. Not just because he still tells me I'm beautiful and not because he spontaneously brought me roses yesterday, but because he is an absolutely wonderful daddy!
I recently discovered that my mom stayed home with me for 13 months before putting me in daycare and then I came back out approximately 2 1/2 years later for 15 months when she had Kelley. All this time Nathan was at school I had been consoling myself that my mom had gone back to work quickly and so I could too (illusions = shattered). Nevermind that my brother had to go to daycare at six weeks (can't EVEN imagine!) and he's perfectly fine (a freshman at A&M this year...brainwashing success!!!)...but I digress. At some point during this conversation we got to discussing how she basically took care of us all by herself out in the middle of nowhere. She didn't have any close mommy friends living nearby so there were no playdates or moms-day-out. My grandmother (her mom) was over an hour away as was my aunt. My dad was the typical breadwinner-type: go to work (usually out of town), come home, eat dinner, read the paper. The most interaction we got most days (that he was home) involved getting our kiss goodnight (which we got every night). This gave me new appreciation for the mommy's who don't have a hands-on husband or even any family nearby to help them with the kids. With the majority of our immediate family being 3 hours south, I completely understand how hard it is do take care of the first baby without your mommy (or mommy-in-law) here to help!
So that brings us to the amazing man I married. Somehow I managed to snatch up not only a wonderful, sweet and romantic husband (reference: roses mentioned above) but he is a terrific daddy to Mr. Nathaniel as well. From literally day 1 he has been changing diapers, holding and soothing our precious angel (insert less than fond memory of me almost fainting in the restroom the first night in the hospital while Jimmy holds 5 hour old baby and four nurses try to get me straightened out). He has been a huge help with keeping the house picked up, dishes washed (okay - loaded in the dishwasher, but it counts...bonus points if he remembered to turn it on!), changing the baby's diaper, "walking" him to sleep, getting dressed, reading books, playing and taking pictures. Basically, whatever I need him to do he will do (with only minor hesitation if it involves a thermometer or pouring water on Nathan's face). Come to think of it, I don't think he has ever taken Nathan's temperature, although he is always the first one to ask if "we" need to take it! But that is a very minor smear on an otherwise super record.

I simply can not imagine getting through those first weeks and months without my loving hubby. The physical and emotional support he provided, and continues to provide, really helped me make it through the sleeplessness and pain of recovery and new-mommy-hood. He continues to be an enormous help with Nathan. This child will never have to wonder if his daddy loves him! If given the chance, Jimmy will always rather hold Nathan than set him on his play mat or in his bouncer. They walk and talk and read and you can tell Nathan looks so secure wrapped in his daddy's arms.
So, thank you to my wonderful honey-bunny. You are the love of my life and an amazing daddy to our son. I love you with everything.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww, Nathan is a lucky man to have such fab parents. :c)