I wanted to take a few minutes to reflect on the things that happened this year that didn't get captured in this little history catcher I've created. This year was full of some very sad and very happy memories. To help my faulty memory along I'll try to step along the months in order.
January
As with most January's of my working life this last one was a bit of a blur. I was focused on making it through my client's 10-K filing while simultaneously not going into pre-term labor. Sometime during January I actually did end up going to the hospital for observation for a few hours for some contractions, but Nathan wasn't really serious about making an appearance, so life and work went on as usual. I had my first baby shower hosted by my sweet girlfriends at the church here in Katy and it was beautiful and Nathan received bunches of wonderful gifts.
February
This was a transition month for me, and not an easy one. My client filed their 10-K in mid-February after which I started working exclusively from home to transition my other client to the new managers who would be taking over while I was on maternity leave. Sometime mid-month Lori's teacher friends also held a "new grandma" shower for her where Nathan was again showered with many sweet gifts. I was supposed to attend but was informed by my doctor that I shouldn't travel. The aforementioned trip to the hospital in January may have had something to do with that recommendation. Then, on February 25th my Papa passed away at the age of 90 (just a few weeks short of his 91st birthday). His body had been getting very tired for the last few years and it was time for him to leave us. I was 34 weeks pregnant and my doctor advised that I should not travel down for the funeral, and that was heartbreaking. I almost went anyway, but the grief or something else caused me to start cramping and that pretty much decided things. As much as I wanted to be with my family to say goodbye to Papa I really didn't want to have Nathan 6 weeks early in South Texas.
March
Drumming fingers were all the rage at my house. I impatiently counted down the days until I went on maternity leave while also expecting that Nathan would come at any time! I was just so sure that he would come early. On March 2nd Nathan's friend Rylan was born and I just couldn't wait to meet my sweet boy for the first time. My days were spent reading baby books, watching game shows, napping and getting Nathan's stuff ready. Oh, how I miss those naps!
April
Finally! I thought this month would never come! My precious angel was born and life as we know it changed completely. Apart from that big event, I don't really remember much that happened for the next couple of months, but I'm pretty sure I captured the high points in some of my past posts about Nathan.
July
Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I said I don't remember what happened for a few months. I remember July because it was the first time I left Nathan for more than an hour at a time. I was still breast feeding and my little angel was refusing to take a bottle of anything, including breast milk. But my sweet friend Amy was marrying the love of her life and I had been looking forward to going since she set the date! So Grammy came to town so Jimmy and I could go and enjoy an evening at the wedding. To our credit I think we did not check our phones during the actual ceremony, but I probably looked at mine every 5 minutes or so at the reception. We left before the real party got started, unfortunately, but I knew Nathan hadn't eaten since the last time I fed him and I wanted to be home by the time he woke up for the first time that night, which usually fell anytime between 10pm and midnight. It was still nice to get out of the house for a date and see a beautiful bride get made fun of at the alter by the person who has, among other things, promised to cherish her forever.
August
This month I went back to work after being at home for almost 4 whole months with Nathan. Not fun. My hubby also turned 30 and, because I am a terrible wife, I don't actually remember what we did to celebrate his birthday. I tend to take a pretty casual approach to my own birthday and so don't get very worked up about others. I know that I didn't get him a present directly, but instead approved the purchase of his Garmin running watch that he wanted. I also didn't get him a card and am moderately sure we didn't even go to dinner or cook a special meal or anything. Wife fail! Maybe I can make it up on his 31st birthday. Nobody cares about 30 anyway, right???
September and October were rinse and repeat. Me trying to figure out how to balance work and home, Nathan doing a great job of adjusting to daycare and Jimmy doing a great job of being a daddy.
November
Besides Thanksgiving, the biggest thing that happened this month was that Jimmy and I decided I would go on a flexible work arrangement (FWA) via a reduced schedule starting March 1, 2012. I still haven't filed the official paperwork at the office, but my schedule already reflects the change, so I'm pretty confident it will get approved with no problem. We are hoping that changing my schedule so I work hours that are more in line with a normal person that will make it easier for me to get the balance I want so desperately. I still have to make it through "busy season" this January and February, but after that hopefully things will get better from a work perspective.
December
Ah, the last month of the year. It got here before even knew what was happening. Many times I wondered where 2011 went, then I looked at the pictures of my son and remembered! I turned 30 this month and my sweet husband did a better job of taking care of me than I did of him. Both Nathan and Jimmy got me birthday cards and Nathan "gave" me mine himself (he was holding it and looking very proud of himself...so precious)! My birthday fell on a Wednesday this year and, despite having entirely too much work to do, I left on time so that Nathan's 'Aunt' Misty could come over to babysit while Jimmy and I went out to dinner. We went to El Rioja, a little Spanish tapas place in West Houston, and had a wonderful meal and some much needed time together. The weekend after, Kelley came up to watch Nathan while Jimmy and I went to my engagement team's Saturday evening Christmas party. During the day Kelley and I went to the nail place near the house that I like where they mistook her for my daughter. Yes, you read that right...my DAUGHTER! She is only 3 1/2 years younger than me and I don't look that old!!! My feelings were clearly hurt and, instead of apologizing to me they tell her, "Oh, you look very young!" I shouldn't have left a tip.
December has given me a much needed vacation and time to spend with Nathan and Jimmy before busy season starts on January 3rd. Mom came up to visit this weekend so Jimmy and I could have a new year's date and we went to dinner and a movie (Babin's and the new Sherlock Holmes movie). I'm so thankful to the friends who offer to keep Nathan, even when we don't take them up on it, and to the family who comes to help so regularly.
Resolutions
And that brings me to the obligatory new year's resolutions. I could pretend that I am going to update the blog sometime soon, but with work starting back with a vengeance on Tuesday I know that's not happening. For that matter, don't expect to see anything until late February. I don't always make new year's resolutions, but I thought if I made some this year and actually put them in writing I might actually have a better chance at keeping them:
1. Read my Bible and pray more regularly. I pray almost every day, but do a very poor job of reading my Bible. There is no excuse to not pray every day, multiple times per day, and the same goes for reading the good Book.
2. Figure out how to be a great mom and just a good auditor (instead of a great mom and a great auditor...it can't be done). The FWA is intended to help with this one.
3. Devote more attention to my marriage. It turns out that you can't have a baby, go back to work, devote all your waking energy to those two things and sleep the rest of the time (or at least try to) and expect your marriage to be hunky-dory. Thankfully no irreparable damage has been done, but things can and will be better!
I think that's enough for this year. Good night and sweet dreams! Oh, and happy new year!
No comments:
Post a Comment