I was thinking the other day about all the things Nathan loves right now and how much he is developing lately. I don't have time to do a big update on him, but I thought I could do a quick recap of his favorite things. Here we go in no particular order:
Bubbles - this kid loves to blow bubbles. He also likes to have other animate and inanimate objects blow bubbles too. We have an empty bubble bottle with wand that serve as his "inside" bubbles. No mess and he is just as happy to pretend as he is to have the real ones outside.
Sidewalk Chalk and Colors - Sidewalk chalk is another outdoor activity he loves and inside we have a table where his colors sit all the time. We draw shapes and letters and animals and anything else we see. We have a drawer in the kitchen that has his chalk and bubbles and he is frequently getting one or both out to play with.
Books - my baby still loves his books and I hope that never changes. Current favorites are "Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type", "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" and "Are You My Mother?" He tries to read along in places he knows which is particularly hilarious when we get to "skit skat skoodle doot flip flop flee" in Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! We are also in the phase where every book must be repeated a minimum of 8 times before moving on to the next. Okay, maybe not quite so bad but it feels like it sometimes.
I drafted this so long ago that favorite books have changed. Now we are hooked on, " How Do Dinosaur Eat Cookies?" and the Bigsby and Nugget books that go with the Hallmark reading friends he got for Christmas from Aunt Ashley and Grammy (those stuffed animals that interact as you are reading the story aloud). Although the books mentioned above still make it into the rotation pretty frequently. The picture I have above includes Nugget and Bigsby...among others.
Snuggle Puppy and Bear - Bear was a present from Daddy this past May (2012) and is a button-in-ear Steiff from Germany. Bear goes lots of places with us; he's the perfect size for a travel companion. Snuggle Puppy is a more recent acquisition this past Christmas from Aunt Finity. He is named after the little brown puppy in the Sandra Boynton book by the same name. Snuggle Puppy can be seen here blowing bubbles.
Daddy - Mommy becomes chopped liver when Daddy is home. I used to be good for bedtime rocking and singing, but busy season and my growing belly have changed all that. After 6 weeks of essentially not being home at bedtime, Nathan got used to his routine with Daddy. And now it is hard for me to get him in his crib without some painful squishing of the belly. Now he wants to rock with daddy, read with daddy and any other activity under the sun that daddy is doing...including vacuuming. Even if we are in the middle of a book when daddy gets home, I hear, "Daddy's home!" (Insert joyful reunion) then, "move mommy!" Evidently not only do I become illiterate but I also cannot occupy the book reading space. And no, I'm not bitter.
Train and truck - Nathan has a Thomas the Train push toy (from Lolo) and a Little People jungle safari truck from Aunt Misty that are frequent flyers at our house. Not that they get thrown around, but I can't count the number of laps these things have made around the downstairs. Of course if Daddy is around Nathan wants company pushing and decrees whether Daddy gets the train or truck. Quite hilarious.
"Smoothies" - what we call smoothies are really just overpriced baby food in an easy to hold and squeeze pouch. The flavor combinations are horrible sounding, but Nathan hasn't met a pouch he didn't like yet. We really should kick the habit, but the kid won't eat veggies so we use this as a way to get some extra vitamins in him.
Letters - One of Nathan's latest loves is the alphabet. He likes to name the letters and is starting to learn what some letters "say" thanks to elementary schoolteacher turned principle Lolo. He loves his foam bath letters, his bigger foam mat letters, any books with letters (like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom) and his leapfrog letter game from Aunt Berley this past Christmas. Favorite letter is "T" with "R" running a close second.
Popo - EVERYONE is chopped liver when Popo comes to visit, even Daddy! My goodness this kid loves his great-grandpa! I don't know what it is about Grandpa but he did something right along the way. A caring faithful daughter, 2 grandkids (and granddaughter-in-law) who adore him and 1 great grandson who can't get enough! And pretty soon there will be another one that will wrap him around her finger. Good thing he doesn't resist the wrapping too much, or at least he hasn't that I've seen. Anyway, Nathan loves loves playing with Popo and we actually have to sometimes send Popo to the other room while Nathan is eating or trying to wind down for a nap because he gets so distracted. At least it's a good problem to have!
Joule - Nathan loves all the cats but especially likes Joule. Most likely because she's the only one that will "play" with him. If she doesn't follow us downstairs in the morning he starts calling for her or if we are upstairs and she's downstairs he'll start yelling, "Come on, Joule" from the gate at the top of the stairs. He's also learning "here kitty kitty kitty" but hasn't quite got the hang of it yet. Joule and Nathan like to chase each other in and around his tunnel and Joule sometimes 'helps' him read books (by rolling over onto them). His response, "Joouule" (hard to put the inflection in type but imagine a teenager saying 'but Mooooooom" and you'll be close enough).
So that's my sweet angel these days. We'll have his (gasp) 2 year well check in about a month. I'll do a statistic update then with height, weight and all that good stuff.













No comments:
Post a Comment