Monday, April 15, 2013

Two cute! Nathan's 2-Year Well Check

The Monday after his birthday I took Nathan in to see our wonderful pediatrician for his well-check.  I was interested to see if our little bean pole would continue on his mission to be over 6 feet tall and thin as a rail like his Big Dad or start to slow down at some point. He was measured at 37" tall (97th %), 27 lb 14 oz (49%) and head circumference 19.1" (45%).  He is still in size 4 diapers (I am favoring Pampers these days) and size 2T clothes (although his pants fit best if they are 18-24 months).

There are 2 ways to predict a child's full-grown height:  1) double his/her height at age 2 or 2) add the mother and fathers height together (in inches), add 5 inches (for boys) and divide by 2.  These are usually accurate to within +/- 4 inches. Using method #1 Nathan will be 6'2" but using method #2 he'll only make it to around 5'7".  So most likely he'll fall somewhere in the middle, but either way he'll be taller than his Mama.

So, what is Nathan up to these days? His language development is that of a 3-year old (according to our pediatrician) and probably because of that he picks up on new words and sounds really quickly.  He can say his numbers up to 20 (skipping 16 most of the time) and he can somewhat reliably count objects up to 5. He loves to sing songs from school, Bible class and the CD we play in the car.  Usually it is easy to tell what song he's singing because he is pretty clear with his words, but other times it takes context or other physical clues.  For example, the only way I figured out he was singing "This Little Light of Mine" is because he would put up his finger and make the blowing sound when he got to, "Don't let satan ::blow:: it out, I'm gonna let it shine."

Singing in the bathtub



Watching Wheel of Fortune - our nightly after dinner ritual.



He also likes to mimic faces.  Here is a series of happy, sad, mad, puppy dog and back to happy.  Such a cutie!







Since our last update Nathan's palate hasn't expanded very much, although we have introduced whole wheat mini-waffles into the rotation of greek yogurt, pre-packaged pasta, chicken and eggs.  Such diversity! He does love fruit (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, oranges, banana) but won't touch vegetables even though we continue to offer them to him when we have them with dinner. The doctor says he's growing fine and she hasn't suggested we do a multi-vitamin so I'm counting this as a win.  The child does have a sweet tooth though.  Won't touch the green bean without serious scrutiny and much nose scrunching, but without hesitation tries an M&M for the first time. We also had frozen yogurt after dinner at La Centera the other night. He made a huge mess, but he enjoyed himself and so did we.









Many people ask me whether he "knows what's coming" in reference to his baby sister.  No. No, he does not.  He has noticed my tummy is getting bigger and he knows, in the way of a 2 year old, that it is because baby sister is inside. He knows her name and that I don't let him treat me like a jungle gym and that's about the extent of his understanding.  I have started asking him if he'll let baby sister play with his old toys when he sees them in the closet to try to prepare him for the sharing of "his stuff" that is to come.  Not sure how much good it will do, but it makes me happy when he says "yes" so I keep asking.  We also had a tummy comparison a few nights ago.  Not the most flattering pictures of me, but he was being so cute that I wanted to include them here for future memories.





One of Nathan's other favorite past times is going to play at the park across the street where he can see people and puppy dogs running. Daddy also took him to the playground (in another neighborhood) the other day while Mommy was working and he had a blast!






I think that is all (or enough) for tonight.  This all done instead of getting my work done.  I hope you enjoyed!

No comments: