We had a bug theme this year for Halloween. We asked Nathan which superhero he wanted to be and he immediately chose Spider Man. I had decided I wanted Olivia to be a cat since she was obsessed with them around that time (spoiler alert, still is) but in true-to-me fashion I didn't start looking early enough for the lead time on Etsy or any other website with cat costumes I liked (and would fit!) a 15 month old. Those of you thinking how easy it is to whip up a cat costume with your handy dandy sewing maching, some fake fur and a leotard take note: I own sewing needles and thread (somewhere) and my skills in that area are desperately lacking. Feel free to volunteer to make my kids Halloween costumes in the future though (ahem, Aunt Ashley). Anyway, I started looking for alternatives and finally found an adorable lady bug costume for my Livy-bug.
Halloween fell on a Friday this year, so we were actually able to go to the kids Halloween parade at school and even did a brief half-circle in our neighborhood for trick-or-treating. After visiting two houses Nathan was satisfied with his haul and ready to go back to the house to eat candy. I insisted we visit a few more houses as we walked back to the house and he insisted on picking out the three pieces he wanted to eat when we got back and carrying those outside of his bucket. I was carrying Olivia three-quarters of the time because Jimmy had to wait at the house for a delivery person. He joined us in the home stretch and took over transportation of the littlest monster.
Mom made it to the house shortly after we got home from trick-or-treating. She was in town to watch the kids for a long weekend while Jimmy and I went to celebrate our anniversary. Nathan helped answer the door until his bedtime and each time got a piece of candy from our bowl. Olivia, of course, just wanted to dump everything out, grab and run. I think everyone had a good time.
The quality of the pictures from that day sum up what it is like herding two kids under the age of 4 around in costume. I was glad when it was bedtime!
 |
| Pumpkin carving the day before Halloween. Better late than never! I can't find the pictures but Olivia "helped" by carrying around the top of the pumpkin and trying to dig out more pumpkin guts with the spoon and eat it. Letting her do that was easier than keeping her otherwise occupied. Hey, a little raw pumpkin never hurt anyone, right? |
 |
| Nathan got to paint his pumpkin while Daddy was carving. |
 |
| This is from the school "parade" which consisted of the kids walking along a line in the grass until they saw their parents then made a break for it and chaos ensued. Olivia, of course, was the cutest little bug there...except for this cutie pa-tootie bee we know who gave her some competition. |
 |
| Found the Daddy. All is right with her world. |
 |
| Found his Mommy. All is right with the world. I love the smile and happy eyes this captures. |
 |
| Waiting for snacks in his room. Jimmy and I split up at first and I came with Nathan and he went with Olivia. |
 |
| It didn't take long for Nathan to want to get out of his costume. We had already changed his clothes by the time snacks and Daddy and Sister arrived. |
 |
| Back at the parade, here is Nathan's class before he sees us. |
 |
| This was about the best I could do with pictures of the kids all dressed that night. Nathan didn't want to wear his mask for some reason (phase of the moon) but I convinced him to keep it on long enough to snap a few pictures. |
 |
| Ready to go! No mask of course. Rotten child. |
 |
| Olivia had a hard time controlling the pumpkin with all that tulle in the way. |
 |
| Here is what the rest of the walk looked like. This is about the point that Daddy had to go back to the house. |
 |
| Back home and explaining to me that he wants both pieces of candy. He was very concerned I was going to get it wrong. |
 |
| Grammy's here!! |
 |
| Playing hide and seek after getting out of costume. Olivia was still in her tights and leotard. |
 |
| Olivia can hide too! Where did they go?!?! |
No comments:
Post a Comment