Friday, September 4, 2015

Motherhood and Apple Pie



I think it is a tradition that I feel like a mom on Mother's Day. I mean REALLY feel like a mom. The picture above (taken on Saturday before Mother's Day) pretty much sums up life these days. Two kids who love their mommy but do not like to share her. Here's how my Mother's Day went (in summary):

Neither child slept through the night.  Olivia woke up twice. Nathan woke up once before midnight and then again just after 6:00 am and came to our bed. I got up around 7:00 am, checked into my Monday morning crack-of-dawn flight to Dallas and got Olivia up to get her ready for church. I was in Olivia's room pushing through a fog of exhaustion when Nathan brought in his present and told me Happy Mother's Day. Olivia brought me her gift bag a few minutes later and I'm not sure if she mumbled Happy Mother's Day or Happy Birthday, but regardless it was the most adorable thing ever and made my tired mommy heart happy. Jimmy ordered me a mug with pictures of the kids that I love, Olivia had a flower pot with her hand print flowers and Nathan made me a bracelet. Such sweet treasures.

Church was, as usual, a challenge. Olivia ended up in the nursery and we struggled to keep Nathan still. The upside was that I made everyone dress in coordinating maroon...because it was Mother's Day and I can. I didn't get a picture of my adorable little family of course, but that's okay. Evidently I didn't take many pictures that weekend because the only ones I have found from Sunday are of Olivia in the dress Aunt Ashley sent her.

"Nek-lass Mommy. On."

A perfect look into the personality of my littlest angel. Tough enough to want to play tackle football yet must be appropriately accessorized while doing so. Be nervous boys.

I may or may not have taken a Mother's Day nap, but even if I didn't I'm sure I needed one. For some reason young children don't distinguish the day that they are supposed to take care of YOU instead of the other way around. I'm told this changes, but 20 years seems like a long time to wait.....

Even through the exhaustion I am so thankful to be a mommy and grateful that my precious angels are happy, healthy and full of love for me. I only hope that I show them as much continuous love and care that my own mommy gives me.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: