Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day (and Happy Anniversary) 2013

Father's Day this year also happened to fall on our six year wedding anniversary, so we had a lot to celebrate this weekend! Above all, Nathan and I wanted to appreciate and honor my wonderful husband who takes such great care of our family.  The last six months have been difficult as I went through a crazy busy season (including second-trimester fatigue and hormones), a rough patch in the pregnancy, Jimmy has been trying to finish his dissertation, I'm dealing with a career that is frequently unpredictable (again...with hormones) and all the while, we have been trying to get Nathan (and ourselves) prepared for the major shift in our little world.  Most of the above has left Jimmy taking on the lion's share of the housework and child care responsibilities. I can't imagine my life without him and am so lucky to have such a patient, loving man who is not only a great husband but an even more amazing daddy. We both put up some pictures to commemorate the big day - mine were from our wedding day, but Jimmy found something a tad bit older than that!

This was from high school (1999) when Jimmy recruited me into Academic Decathlon (his senior year, my junior).  Everybody together now, "Awww, how romantic!" We dated only a few months in the spring but stayed friends afterward (obviously). Fourteen years and one child haven't caused too much damage, right???

Happily ever after approximately 8 years after the picture above! As I said, Jimmy is a patient guy.
Saturday was relaxing as we hung out at the house and didn't do much of anything (as evidenced by the mountains of laundry still to do).  Saturday late afternoon we broke out the sprinklers and kiddie pool, applied the SPF 75 (don't judge) and hit the backyard!  Nathan and Daddy played for over an hour while I supervised the festivities and occasionally became the water target.

Running through the big sprinkler took a lot of concentration!



Being carried by Daddy was the preferable sprinkler pass through method. 












See, there was someone behind the camera! This serves as my (one day shy of) 35 week belly shot. 

Mommy and my precious angel (and his "fish").

Couldn't help myself...

Sunday morning we woke up bright and early (as usual). Jimmy gave me a very sweet anniversary card with an even sweeter note written inside. I, clearly not being in the running for any mommy or wife-of-the-year awards, managed to make it to the happy day without having purchased either an anniversary or Father's Day card for Jimmy (sorry, honey). However, I did have a gift for him, and I think it made up for the lack of cards...

Why, yes, that is a Taylor guitar case hidden under Nathan's bed for three weeks! Pardon the sleepy eyes...as I said...it was early!

Daddy trying out his new Father's Day-Anniversary-Birthday-Christmas present.


As it turns out the model of guitar I bought was not the exact one Jimmy wanted.  In my defense, it was the one he spent an hour playing the last time we were at Guitar Center getting his equipment priced.  Anyway, we took the one pictured above back and exchanged it for a slightly different model (see below).


All in all we had a wonderful Father's Day and anniversary. Stay tuned for our actual anniversary date.

No comments: