The past week I have been feeling extra heavy, achy and tired. I suspected that it might have been all psychological knowing Friday was my last day at work, but then Tuesday night I spent the better part of 3 hours timing contractions and I knew I wasn't all in my head. I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions for months, but these were becoming alarmingly distinct and regular. Anyway, I drank several glasses of water (after texting my dear friend Lela so she could validate my stubborn refusal to call my doctors office or go into the hospital to get monitored) and eventually went to sleep figuring that I wasn't in real labor if I could go to sleep (and stay asleep).
Friday I had my regularly scheduled appointment and got "checked" for the first time. My weight was at 172 lbs (officially 40 lbs gained...ugh) and baby's heartbeat was 145 bmp. My doctor informed me that I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced and baby's head was sitting really really low. Wait, what?! Not. Prepared. Then we had an ultrasound and the technician said the baby is measuring approximately 7 lbs 4 oz (one week ahead of schedule). Her tummy size was the main driver of the weight estimate...evidently Olivia will be a little chubbier than her brother was at birth, and if she goes to her due date by some miracle she'll weigh close to 9 lbs. Mild panic attack ensues.
![]() |
| Profile of Olivia getting ready to suck on her hand. |
![]() |
| Tiny baby foot! |
I feel like there is so much left to do and so little ability for me to personally and physically do it all. The slightest amount of activity causes various forms of discomfort for hours on end. The low hanging fruit is to wash some of her newborn clothes, cradle sheets and Boppy slipcover. Oh, and pack a hospital bag!!! But packing requires that other laundry get done too. Are we sensing a theme here? I also have a long list of other things that I would love to get done before she arrives, including cleaning out her closet and organizing the nursery and removing the sliding shower door in the guest bath an replacing it with a curved rod and curtain. The sliding door is fine for adults and older children, but it is impossible to bathe a toddler in there and very uncomfortable to bathe an infant while trying to lean over the rail that the door slides on. Non essential things to be sure, but on the list nonetheless. It also occurred to me Tuesday night that we don't really have an action plan for Nathan when the time does come. Put my mommy-of-the-year award right next to the box of frozen waffles Nathan has at least 3 nights a week (hey, at least they are whole wheat with flax...that counts for something, right?).
So now we are counting the days. I remember being progressed with Nathan for several weeks and we went all the way to his due date, so there's really just no telling when Miss Olivia will come see us in person. I am simultaneously excited and nervous but really can't wait to meet her and see what she will look like!


No comments:
Post a Comment