Saturday, June 1, 2013

Girls Weekend 2013!

On Memorial Day weekend my sweet college girlfriends and I got together for our annual girls weekend.  We decided to stay local this year for many reasons, but mostly because at the time we were planning this shindig I was being threatened with bed rest and knew I would be on the border line of the travel restrictions.  Misty Sue graciously offered her house as our destination of choice and her husband Matt graciously made himself scarce for three days.  Our weekend was a little shorter than usual this year, but we made the most of our time together, as we always do!  Here are a few highlights from the weekend.


  • Friday night dinner at Double Dave's then back "home" to talk until midnight. The girls surprised me with gifts for Olivia and a cookie cake. We can usually find a good excuse for a cookie cake every year! They got some adorable outfits for Livy and bought the ingredients for custom made onesies.



  • Saturday we all slept in (until 8:30...three of the 4 of us have kids, cut us some slack) had breakfast, Kristin and I played Phase 10 (while Misty and Lauren got beautiful), went to lunch at La Madeline, then went shopping at Hobby Lobby and Home Depot with a swing through Whole Foods.  The trip to Hobby Lobby started because I wanted to "just look" and get their help thinking of ideas for Olivia's room. Well, they definitely had an idea!
  • Saturday afternoon was spent making the most precious frame for Olivia's room. We bought a (hideous) frame on sale, some fabric, a wooden "O", spray paint and craft paint.  I had to trust to their vision because I certainly could not have imagined this on my own! We also painted onesies,  played a new game called Papayoo (let the record show that this game did not earn Misty's stamp of approval and was actually quite stressful and impossible to develop a strategy...especially when talking the entire time), then Cranium (Misty and I won) then more Phase 10 until bed time. For dinner Misty cooked some really yummy pasta casserole thing that none of us will ever be able to duplicate...but it sure was good!
This is the before picture.  Neon blue frame with black push pin backing. Ugh.

The "O" before Misty and Lauren worked their magic.  Painted green, then white, then pink and distressed on the edges when dry. I'm glad they knew what they were doing...I supervised.

This is the intensity of accountants doing crafts.


Finished product!!! Isn't it perfect! I love it and could hardly wait to get it up on her wall!

Happy early birthday, Olivia! Love, your Aunt Lauren, Kristin and Misty!

  • Our weekend talk ranged from babies and tax withholding to donuts, work, dogs and everything in between.  (If you were expecting a weekend of club hopping and incriminating photos I apologize...we are quite boring)
  • Memorable Cranium moments included flying buttresses being interpreted as "pilot pants" (drawing), the determination that Kristin and Lauren can't spell (forward or backward), poor renditions of Stand By Me hummed, and a brilliant portrayal of Jekyll and Hyde by Misty for the win!  All of this led to Lauren declaring, "We've gotten dumber since college!" I think we all concurred.
  • Sunday morning I slept til 7:30 (believe me...I tried to make it longer) then we had breakfast of the amazing cinnamon rolls procured from Whole Foods the day before. More Phase 10 and Papayoo were played before we all started to head our respective ways in the late afternoon.
The weekend really was too short.  Kristin, Misty and I discussed that next year we need to actually GO AWAY and make it a longer weekend.  Maybe a cruise....

Here are some pictures that were sent to me while I was away.  Mom (Grammy) was in town for the long weekend so Jimmy had lots of help.  I'll do a separate Memorial Weekend post to catch up on the rest of the time (including the beginnings of Olivia's room coming together!!!).


Watching Wheel of Fortune with Daddy before bed.

Making faces in the phone camera (he could see himself).

At the playground (his favorite place to be) Saturday morning.

Making chocolate chip cookies with Grammy.  That look is probably him trying to figure out how to get the chocolate chips out of the batter!

No comments: