Thursday, July 3, 2014

Nathan - 3 years old!



My precious angel turned a big three years old on April 6th. When people ask me how old he is I say, "Three. Very, very three." Translated, this means that he is adorable, stubborn (who could that have come from?), independent (again...clearly my child), finicky, fickle, curious, strong willed, hard headed (noticing a trend here?), loving, cuddly and the light of my life. 

Here's what was happening this spring around the time of his birthday:

  • Stats: Length 39.8 in (94%), weight 33 lbs (65% for age, 18% for length)
  • Moved up to the preschool class on 3/3
  • Favorite color: pink and purple (changed soon after to red and orange)
  • Favorite (only) TV show: Mickey Mouse clubhouse. Also likes Mike & Mike in the Morning on ESPN.
  • Enjoyed the winter Olympics, especially pairs skating. He said when he gets skates he's going to spin around too.
  • Loves to pretend. He got a kitchen for Christmas and plays in it every day. He only has a few different food items and those become many different things. So while you think you are being handed cheese to eat, you'd better ask...because it might be a waffle. He likes to "cook" everything in the oven, even pretend ice cream.

  • Still loves to sing and read books. Current favorite books are the "Splat the Cat" series and certain Bible stories (Joseph and the creation)
  • Current favorite song: the "library song" on the Micky Mouse Clubhouse CD by Professor Von Drake.
  • Not potty trained yet. He doesn't want to even try. I tried to entice him with Mickey undies to no avail.
  • When he's mad he hits some and pretends to spray you with the leaf blower or a water gun (both imaginary with his hand) or sometimes pretends to shrink you. He isn't one for throwing fits on the ground but is a big whiner. I usually pretend I can't understand him when he's whining. Unless he's very tired, his outbursts don't last for long. We are actually very lucky. I think some parents would consider his "misbehaving" in our eyes to be angelic behavior from their toddler who throws category 5 tantrums. [Author's note: I'm starting to think Olivia will give us a taste of what a true temper tantrum is all about. Time will tell.]
  • Favorite foods: popcorn (kettle corn), yogurt, granola bars, cereal, fruit (blueberries, banana, strawberries, cuties)
  • Favorite dessert: chocolate. Anything chocolate.
  • Favorite stuffed toy: Minnie Mouse. For a while she went everywhere with us, including the grocery store, but he grew out of that pretty quickly. She is still his preferred animal but I wouldn't consider her a lovey.

  • He likes to wear my necklaces in the morning and says, "Look, Mommy, I'm a princess!" I finally had to buy him his own cheap necklaces after he broke or damaged several of mine.

  • Profession: Singer-songwriter-chef. 
  • Size 3T clothes, Size 5 diaper and size 6 pull-up
  • Still refuses to use a blanket to sleep. He wakes up and comes to our bed in the middle of the night. This started over Christmas when we had him sleeping with us and various guests slept in his room.  Then it continued during busy season when I didn't come home at night in time for his bedtime. Since then we are basically co-sleeping. This isn't my preference, and I'm still trying to think of a (non-dramatic/traumatic) way to get him sleeping in his own room by himself. 
  • Loves his sister AhLEEEveeeah



  • First shower 1/30 (because sister was asleep already and her bedroom is right by the guest bathroom)
  • First night going to sleep by himself (because mommy wasn't home) 1/3. Basically he refused to let Daddy stay in the room with him, so during busy season, he would just lay in bed by himself and go to sleep. You know, like a properly sleep trained child. However, this obviously doesn't mean he slept through the night.
  • Whistled after bath - 1/26. I don't remember what made us try to whistle, but I was pretty surprised that he could do it. 
  • I may amend his profession to be evil genius. Or villain. He loves to pretend to be the bad guy so I have to be very careful with what we watch on TV or movies. We first noticed it over Christmas when we were watching a LOT of "Frosty the Snowman" and Nathan always wanted to pretend to be Professor Hinkle. Complete with evil laugh. Since then the theme has held true and he pretends to be Mega Mort (Micky Mouse Clubhouse Super Adventure), the ice monster,  "mean crossbow boys" or ice workers (Disney's Frozen), scary dinosaur and last, but not least, Maleficient/scary dragon (Sleeping Beauty). In fact, the first time we watched Sleeping Beauty he started "shooting" at the TV with his "crossbow" while Prince Philip was fighting the dragon. I asked if he was helping Prince Philip defeat the dragon and he told me he was saving the dragon. ::sigh:: As I write this I hear Nathan telling Daddy, "Round Stefens castle cast thy spell! ::pshew pshew:: ::buaha ha ha ha:: Be careful daddy! The mean fairy is turning into a dragon now!"




Nathan, Mommy loves you with everything. Even when you are grim and grumpy. No matter what.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Precious little man! So much personality and imagination- he will love looking back on these some day.