Thursday, July 3, 2014

Nathan's 3rd Birthday Party - Mickey Mouse

This year Nathan had a Mickey Mouse themed birthday party.  Despite busy season, I got my act together in enough time to order some cute table decorations (some assembly required) and even got brave and made some Mickey inspired Oreo pops. On Saturday, he got his present from Momo and Popo early (a basketball net) and we spent some time playing outside and getting ready for the party. 

Tee ball set from Uncle Cantrell


Stomp rocket from Aunt Ashley





We had the party on his birthday (a Sunday) at The Little Gym of Katy and I would absolutely go there again. He loved it (even though he didn't participate in the first 5 minutes of organized activities). He was a pill that morning before going to church, but after a cat nap in worship (thank goodness) he was acting a little better. I got the whole family Mickey and Minnie shirts (even Daddy) so we matched the theme. I don't think I got a picture of everyone though. Trust me, we were adorable. 

Guests: Caitlin, Andy, Leah, Rylan, Kylee, Jacey, Larkin, and Tyley (Keegan, Heidi and Olivia played outside with the adults). Other attendees: Uncle Cantrell, Aunt Kelley, Uncle Chris, Mom, Lori, Momo and Popo, Ruth Ann and Nathan's friend's moms and one dad (Kellen). Aunt Misty and Matt sweetly came and took pictures for me so I didn't have to worry about it. Great decision! I'm awesome at delegating.

My beautiful photographer!
The kids got to run around and play on the mats and equipment. As I mentioned above, Nathan didn't want to come sit in the circle with everyone else. He just kept playing by himself. So then Andy left the circle (Nathan's best friend). Then Caitlin followed (in love with Andy). Eventually he started following along with the group activities and had a blast. The young girls who ran the party for us were very good with the kids. I have about 300 blurry pictures of kids running around.  Here are some of the better ones to capture the spirit of the day.

Early arrivals: Andy and Caitlin. These three are trouble.






Discussing the merits of sharing toys. Notice whose daughter is the hoarder (those are not my keys).

Too much cuteness: Keegan and Heidi

The Moms (and Kellen)

Other observers. Uncle Cantrell, Uncle Chris and Aunt Kelley.
As I mentioned above, Pinterest got the better of me and I decided to make Mickey lollipops. I'm not really sure what possessed me to do this, but they turned out pretty cute and tasty. At least I assume they were tasty. I didn't actually eat one. I outsourced the cupcakes to Carolyn (who made his 1 yr birthday cake), and we had goldfish and fruit (strawberry, grapes and blueberries). Very simple. For party favors I bought simple Mickey and Minnie ears for the kids to wear while they were eating snacks. Jimmy and I were betting on whether Nathan would pick Minnie ears, given his love for her. I think the ears were a hit and it was easier than putting together goodie bags with junk no parent ever wants. Oh - speaking of those lollipops, Nathan had a minimum of 5 (that I witnessed)...I think I only made 16. They were so popular that Aunt Kelley stashed one in her purse so she would be sure to get one! 






This is Mickey pop #1 while we were setting up. 



Wondering why she isn't getting any of the good stuff.




Opening presents was a test of my claustrophobia. Nathan is slower than frozen molasses, so I was there in the middle to help him with a cluster of kids gathered around.  Closely around. Very closely. Fortunately, it didn't bother Nathan that they were touching and holding his stuff so I tried to not let it bother me. The chorus of, "Oh my goodness!" from the crowd after opening every present was really funny. Three year olds are so easy to please.

This set up lasted about 1 minute. Good effort TLG girl.  Good effort.

Getting closer....

And closer...... (eating Mickey pop #2)

Starting to hyperventilate. 

The Primrose Friends: Nathan, Andy, Caitlin and Leah.  (Mickey pop #4)
I considered it a successful birthday and there is a high likelihood we'll go back there again next year. Now I just have to get ready for Olivia's first birthday....eek!

And I'm spent.

No comments: